Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Just Breathe

I had the most relaxing weekend at the farm. I did my chores first and then played the rest of the time. Good advice - thanks mom! One of my chores was to wash the living room windows. That was an especially good idea because then my view was unobstructed from the myriad of spider webs and leaves that had accumulated over the winter and spring. Husband says - "We won't know what to do with ourselves looking out of clear windows". I say good grief - it's not like I NEVER clean the windows - but the clean windows were a treat and were enjoyed. It was one of those cooler in the house than outside kind of days on Saturday so washing windows really was the smart choice. Then a little garden weeding and a little mouse turd vacuuming and I was free! Free to ride my ATV over the countryside, free to read under the big shade tree, free to walk in the woods and take photos, free to sit by the stream and listen to the gurgles. Free to watch butterflies and bumblebees romp and play in the flowers and free to later take a nap on the couch, drifting off to sleep looking out those clean windows.
Hubs idea of relaxing is driving his tractor so he "relaxed" in the heat to the sound of the mower. More power to him - I wouldn't want to disturb his idea of heaven on earth. I think he likes to look up and see me flying like batman over the hills (on my winged atv) bringing him cold containers of water and stories of the treasures I've unearthed. I stumbled across a delightful surprise in the back of our property down near the sharecroppers cabin - a large patch of orange lilies, little faces beaming towards the mottled sun as it flowed through the opening in the thick patch of trees. I shared this find with great delight until husband commented. "Well yes its always been there - I usually just mow them down." Aghast, I give him the stink eye and tell him from now on - DON'T!
Sunday morning I convinced him to walk the woods with me before he gets back on his tractor for his day of rest. We enter the tick infested jungle (only brought three piggybackers along with us) and meander along the stream. For some reason whenever I go into the woods I hear the narrator on Bambi saying "Man had entered the forest." No bambi sightings this time around but we did see some wild turkeys and a large turtle soaking in a pool. The woodland animals probably laugh when they hear me coming. I must be the noisiest thing to ever enter - even trying to be quiet was unsuccessful this time and I heard many creatures scampering away long before I got to their hiding places. I was delighted to find ferns and tiny wild flowers and was rewarded by the above mentioned turtle and a frog who dared me to try to catch him. Coming out of the the thickest undergrowth we began our trail clearing chore - it really is much more fun to ride when you don't have to stop and move fallen logs. The woods trails are now ready...until the next branch falls. Except for this place - that will take a bit more work like as in a chainsaw and other equipment.
never happier than when mowing


  I am most pleased with the status of my rhubarb. This is plant number 3 that I had attempted so maybe by next year I will be able to have some to make a pie



 where the wild things grow

 Lastly I spent my time playing with the camera and the treasures I had gathered or accumulated over the last few days. John Deare said he'd be done in a few minutes which I think must be code for 2 hours so eventually I tired of being artist and took another delightful nap before traveling home.


a few props - later I cleaned this window too
 

 fingers crossed for black raspberries when we return


1 comment:

  1. How I would love to sit by the stream with you and listen to the gurgles.
    You happiness shines through for all of us Mary. My smile smile is bright with thoughts of men resting on their tractors (and mowing down glorious plants!) and the imagined taste of a blackberry cobbler.

    ReplyDelete