Sunday, November 22, 2009

Farm Inspired Projects

Haven't been to the farm in a few weeks - had other places to go, people to see, things to do - but I did get inspired and made a few things that are about the farm. First of all this book, full of lovely pictures from fall. I actually made it for my mother, who loves to sing and so I took the words to many of her favorite songs and put them to my favorite pictures. It really is delightful if I do say so myself, and should take me through the winter months when we don't go down to the farm regularly.
Growing up with a preacher daddy, we spent a lot of time in church and one service I always enjoyed was the Thanksgiving service. I don't think many churches even have these anymore, everyone is too busy cooking turkey, but you could count on it when I was growing up. Always the chance to sing, "Come Ye Thankful People Come," and "We Gather Together To Ask the Lord's Blessing."
So I admit those songs came flooding back to my brain as I walked through the harvest woods, and so I made a collage and titled it Harvest Songs. At the moment it hangs in my dining room - tacked up by a thumbtack for the holidays. Maybe someday I will frame it.
This weekend after we have polished off the turkey and pumpkin and APPLE pies, we are headed to the farm for a big bonfire. We'll roast hot dogs and marshmallows and make s'mores and walk in the woods and then we have to close up things until spring. But maybe, just maybe I will think of another song or two to use as inspiration for other projects to carry me through until we can go exploring again.
Happy Thanksgiving,
farmgirl


No comments:

Post a Comment