Sunday, November 1, 2009

the squirrels must be bowling



There is something to be said about a metal roof - it is noisy! I awoke to the sounds of dropping acorns and scampering feet right over my head. In my sleepy state of mind what came to me was, "hmm the squirrels must be bowling!" Now I know I have a vivid imagination but this was probably getting a little carried away. Unfortunately, I lay awake for a little while and listened to the sounds of acorns (or other objects) rolling down the roof and squirrels (or other varmits) scampering upwards. I miss those chirping crickets from this summer - they seemed a little quieter. Of course there was also the snoring bear right beside me lending his 2 cents to the night time noises. Speaking of bears - Saturday morning our neighbor James stopped by to tell us that a 200 lb. black bear was sighted in our woods last week. Is this a warning or just friendly local chatter? Made me feel a little creepy about my wonderful walk in the woods last weekend. Later in the day John and I hiked for several miles and spent a good hour plus in the woods - happy to say we saw no signs that he was around - at least not that John was going to tell me! Hopefully he's moved on to somebody else's woods.
Our explorations took us on a different path than we had taken before. This one crossed the stream and went up to a seldom used dirt road, now covered with leaves. We followed it, keeping to the west of the stream and saw our property from a whole new angle. Eventually we had to cut back down and ended up on the extreme corner of our property where a pond might go some day. Along the way we saw lots of colorful and interesting fungi in fun shapes and sizes, which kind of made up for the fact that the glorious leaf colors from last weekend had become mostly browns.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment