Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bring on the rain



Got my garden planted this weekend. Well most of it anyway. You know you are in trouble when a neighbor stops by and asks you if you are a glutton for punishment. I thought it was a modest start to our "farming" days (haha). Farmboy tilled two beds - on is about 75 ft x 6 ft and one is about 90 ft by 6 ft. The front one (on the left) is all flowers - a great experiment for the wedding. The one on the right is veggies. Let's hope they are not both deer food.

We've got big plans. We've planted lots of sunflowers (mini for bouquets), cosmos, daisy, delphinium, zinnias, and black-eyed susans and then on one end I planted two lavender plants cuz I go no where without my lavender! Funny thing is I've also planted most of these same flowers at home so between the two we should have what we need, you think? But if not then we have two back-up plans. One is the pick your own farms in the area and two is Costco - yes they have a whole section with sunflower wedding bouquets. Some might wonder why we didn't just go there first but then again - if you know me, you know why!

The veggie garden has tomatoes, beans, jack-o-lanterns, sugar pumpkins, winter squash, watermelon, and gourds for now. It is only about half planted - after 4 hours I was pooped!

It is never all work and no play for this farm girl so I took a long walk in the woods on Saturday morning. It was supposed to be raining but somehow it skipped right over us so I found myself motivationless but with a whole day ahead of me. I knew Farm Boy would come up with a plan/ farm chores so I got out of dodge while the gettin was good. He did nab me later though to help take down a fence but that is another story.

My walk in the woods..... so GREEN - I just love spring! I found several more clumps of narcissus back by the barn, the creek is still running well, the ferns are unfurling, the blackberry bushes are full of buds as are the peach trees and we found two more trees that we hadn't noticed or that didn't produce last year. We really must do something about protecting the fruit from the deer. It would be a shame to have it all eaten by them again. The more we clear the more we find so maybe eventually there will be enough for them to share with us - the greedy oinkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment