Thursday, May 6, 2010

farm girl at home : The Farmer's Market

Here at home in Manassas, our Thursday Farmer's Market has begun. They are also out en force on Saturday's but it is a much calmer and engaging atmosphere on Thursdays plus I am usually at the farm on Saturday. People are friendly, stopping to chat, ask questions, and offer samples (my favorite). Above you can see my purchases for this week. I am super excited about dinner tonight, Beets, Baby squash and stuffed blossoms, fresh peas, purple romaine, local strawberries, and fresh homemade bread. I also bought another dahlia plant and a purple basil plant. All this for under $20. I chatted with the farmer from whom I bought the herbs - he allowed me to taste leaves off of a few other basil plants - just call me a rabbit, haha. I love regular basil, which I already have, and decided to try the purple one this year too. I can just see a slice of red ripe tomato, a soft white slice of mozzarella and POW - purple basil leave drizzled in a little balsmic - yummo! Now if the tomatoes would just ripen. The other basil plant I might try yet is the Italian Basil. It has large leaves, almost lettuce sized and he said they were great for sandwiches - um, a caprese sandwich on a rustic artisanal loave - oh my!
I also chatted with the pie lady and sampled her Strawberry Rhubarb pie. I will purchase one next week I think. We discussed rhubarb and she said it is up and almost ready - just needs to turn a bit redder. Can hardly wait! Farm boy and I love rhubarb anything. This year will be rhubarb jam making - I haven't done that in so long.
My CSA starts pretty soon too. I think in two weeks I need to report to work, although I haven't officially heard yet. But according to the chatter at the market things are really picking up - garlic is almost ready, everything at the market is getting more substantial in size and variety is increasing. so are the prices a little bit. Last week all onions were $1 a bunch, this week they all seemed to be $1.50.
I'm off to the kitchen to rustle up a veggie dinner.

farmgirl

1 comment:

  1. Sounds and looks yummy!
    How does one go about making stuffed blossoms?

    ReplyDelete