Wednesday, September 22, 2010

csa today




What is better than a crisp breeze, the warm sun (well maybe hot is a closer description), new friends and beautiful fresh vegetables? A membership in the CSA of course, so you can experience all of the above AND take the veggies home. Today was a good day with lots of color. I am not sure why I like to take pictures of food but it's become an addictive habit of mine over the summer. The richness of the colors, the contrast of the vivid shapes and capturing the textures and personalities (work with me here) is all part of the fun of being a harvest helper. And of course the best benefit is the eating of the freshest, organic veggies available with just a little effort from all of us. I've been keeping a journal of my weekly treats and the recipes that I have tried with them and am starting to get a nice collection. Part of the fun of being a harvest helper is listening to what others do with the same veggies. It is with some regret that I realize that the end of the summer project is almost here, and to add insult to injury my second favorite place during the summer, the farmer's market, will soon close its doors as well. What will I do with my Wednesday and Thursday mornings? Perhaps I will just look at my pictures and think of all the possibilities for next year, or else I will put my baker's hat on and get ready for the holidays. After all there is a lot of zuchinni in the freezer that needs to be made into cakes and bars. A short list of the new things we've tried this summer:

fennel...not too crazy about it but made a fennel parmesan gratin

swiss chard..I like it but the rest will pass so I hide it in things, there's lots in the freezer, I did make swiss chard gnocchi which was marked w/ passing grades by the family. They haven't noticed it in stuffed zuchinni or in soups

bok choy...also in the freezer

golden beets...i could eat any kind of beet and these are delicious roasted

okra...new today, thinking about gumbo

pattypan squash...stuffing it tonight with a ricotta and sausage filling

a summer squash soup - next time take out the lemon

zucchini oatmeal bars...went over quite well
squash blossoms, yes I stuffed and fried them and they passed
made 2 pints of pickled peppers - always wanted to try that

and certainly not new - but a new method for processing tomatoes was oven roasted tomato sauce - added Merlot and garlic to the recipe and we have a winner

and refrigerator pickles - new recipe, made lots

eggplant...roasted with a touch of spices, interesting

YUM! hungry yet?

and if I don't feel like cooking, I can always use them in an art project - why yes, yes I did! My photo book Summer's Bounty came last week and I am using another picture for my green ATC project with my art group - Christian Paper Artists. So delicious and inspiring are the benefits of being a farmgirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment