Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Around the World and Back




Well not really - but sometimes it feels like it. I have been down to the farm twice in the last 2 weeks. I've also been to Philly and have plans for the beach and Maine in the next few weeks. Unfortunately the farm will have to wait. But I am excited to have picked all of my globe amaranth and have it drying on racks in my garage. It will be a fun project very soon. I learned the hard way that mice like to eat this flower. I had a very clever screen all set up at the farm to dry flowers and filled it with the amaranth. One week later they were shredded and laying all over the floor of my bedroom along with "evidence" pointing to mice in the house again. errrrrr! So this time we hauled all the flowers home.


(this is an old picture -the wall of the garage is now full)

The farm was HOT last weekend and then we made it worse by putting in the window A/C. Really, what were we thinking? That just made everything seem hotter and humider and who wants to sit in a bedroom? It was nice to have a place to cool down the body temps before dressing for a wedding but still - next time no A/C - we'll go au naturale and enjoy the breeze that flows through the trees!


(hot, dry and dusty - poor John Deare)

And speaking of trees! Earlier this spring our peach tree was full of delicious almost ripe peaches - but when we returned a week later only pits were left on the ground. Now we have a pear tree full of luscious almost ready pears but dang gommit - it appears the squirrels are waiting poised to devour them as well. They do leave us some apples - for which I am grateful but those squirrels are not going to stand a chance when I live down there and can shoot them with my rubber band gun. Argh - dumb (and insert other choice but inappropriate words) squirrels.


(the weeds that got away - actually this is a 12 ft high zinnia -
you know the neighbors are loving us)

Kayla was the photographer this weekend. I was too busy working and wiping away rivers of sweat but she insists that we must have one picture of me "farming" on my blog so I will swallow my pride and post it for your grins - but no comments please :)


farmgirl at her best - haha


1 comment: