Thursday, August 18, 2011

Home Again, Dancing a Jig


the sound of freedom (way up there)


It seems like every week has a trip somewhere for the next month or so. Things always seem to pile up like that. Now that we are six weeks to the wedding I guess it just seems like things are rolling along faster and faster. This is a big year for us in some ways. Son is getting married AND just celebrated his last day of commitment to the Army for a total of 8 years! He's been counting down the days and keeping his fingers crossed that he doesn't get deployed at the last minute and now that it is passed it seems surreal. We are very proud of him and the commitment he made to serve his country and his time spent at two deployments, Djibouti and Iraq.


six weeks, but who's counting?

He grew up a lot and now he's getting married and becoming a spouse to a Naval Officer who is serving as well. They will have 6 weeks together before she is shipped out on deployment so the sacrifice on both their parts continues. I was sitting on the beach at VA Beach this past week and every few minutes a fighter jet drowned out all noise and flew over the water. A friend commented on my facebook status "That's the sound of Freedom!" and it is and thanks to my kids and many other mother's children for their part in making that freedom possible. To all my friends out there who have experienced what I am talking about - God Bless You!
Next on our list of exciting milestones is dear daughter number one who is celebrating her FIRST Anniversary of marriage this week AND her FIFTH year of teaching. Neither one seem possible. I still feel like I am planning her wedding or attending her college graduation. Little children from her first year of teaching 5th grade are now in high school and from her second year (2nd grade) are in Middle School. SHE was just in middle school - where did that time go?


FIVE!

AND then there is Baby girl - leaving this weekend for her Senior year in college. Be Still My Heart - how did this happen so fast? This summer was packed full or responsibility as she worked with 14 and 15 yr old boys with special needs. Her heart is SO Big and she will do BIG things for God's Kingdom, I just know it! Even if she doesn't know what that exactly looks like yet.


"For I know the plans I have for you,
says the Lord." Jer 29:11

Life is one big transition of hello's and goodbyes. My heart is full to think of my children as adults but on the plus side they add wonderful people into our family and their adventures give me something to write about :)
So I am off on some adventures of my own. Next week I leave for a vacation in Maine - with just a girlfriend, well I guess I should call her a lady friend since she is old enough to be my mother. But we do have fun together and as long as we don't carry our purses into antique shops we usually stay out of trouble (accidents not theft - haha). I am looking forward to cool temps and some away time and seeing friends along the way.

Then my agenda gets crazy with not only wedding but I have agreed to speak at a Women's Retreat in San Francisco - three weeks after the wedding so I am preparing for that as well. This is something I have always wanted to do (on my bucket list if you will) and haven't done much of since the Philippines trip in 2007 and so I was thrilled when the opportunity developed for me to speak. No butterflies yet, but I better stop flitting around and get down to business! Some of my busiest weeks are ahead of me.

AND I have grand plans for a fall garden - planted lettuce spinach, radishes and beans last week




AND I still have my Stoney Lonesome Farm blog to work until the end of October and I plan to have another Mary and Bright show in December so who has time to sit around and be sad - not me!


Well there you have it - my busy, crazy, wonderful life just got crazier, busier and more wonderful! God is good!

2 comments:

  1. mama - am i CELEBRATING five years of teaching? ;) maybe - it is quite an accomplishment - sticking with it. <3 nen

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should be celebrating - even if you are tired "smiles" and why are you anonymous?
    Hugs - mommy

    ReplyDelete