Monday, January 9, 2012

A New Normal

I had a feeling this year was gonna be good. It just seemed like there was change in the air. Perhaps because I've lived in a perpetual state of change for the past two years getting ready to marry off my younguns' but I really didn't know what could possibly top those events. For those of you waiting for some big announcement - it ain't happening. This year may just be another year of family and fun but it feels different. One of my goals for the year was to get my house in order - and by house I mean physical dwelling where we live and love but also house as in ME - make a plan, plan a life, live intentionally, decide what you want to do with your next half century and get moving! Many of you know I turn 50 this year - no biggie, but yet a fun milestone to celebrate. Many of you know I am in a search for my birth parents - no news yet but steady information flowing. Many of you know that I gave myself a 100 day challenge - more on that later. But it's already shaping up to be a not quite what I expected new year.
First of all, my schedule will change a bit - for a little while at least. My brother has asked me to help care for my elderly aunt. She is currently in skilled nursing care but as she has no family but the few of us, it is time to rally support. So I will be going back and forth to Lancaster each week to spend a few days sitting with her, advocating for her and just being with her. My brother has all the hard stuff under control so I get to do the easy stuff - be me. We'll see how the next two weeks go and then make a plan from there. But being gone from home will certainly motivate me to use the time I am home wisely because  the next change that looks like it will take place this year is a move. How on earth does one box up 13 years of living in one place and move it all to another place and still call it home? I do ache with my kids who feel like the rug is pulled from under them (under they aren't even at home anymore.). They haven't physically said it because they want to be supportive but I know that they feel that way because I do! But business has been challenging over the last few years and we've lost our lease and have two years to physically move the business elsewhere. We've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is to combine everything under one roof - well not literally but on one property so we are looking for a farm where we have everything we planned for at our farm in Appomattox, everything our family could want for a HOME SWEET HOME and everything a business would need for office space, crane storage, machine shed, etc.
It has been fun to explore some of these farms. Others make me want to cry and say no way! I selfishly want to keep my house - all the improvements - the new custom kitchen, the gorgeous bathrooms, the rooms painted how I want them - I have seen some UGLY wallpaper and carpet and paint! but then I see the layout of a particular place and I think "oh a holly tree, a perfect spot for a lavender garden, a field for veggies - hey I could raise a goat!" and start to get all excited about the possibilities. We'll have to wait and see what the Lord has planned! But in the meantime should I order seeds and prepare my garden?
THE 100 Day Challenge - losing 25 lbs before I turn 50!
So far so good - week 1 is 5 lbs gone! I love the success of the first week and know that it won't stay this way but I am taking it one day at a time. Learning to track, learning to plan, relearning portion size, looking for healthy alternatives (right now I am in love with greek yogurt) and trying to eat a piece of fruit before anything else sweet. It helps to have purged the house of Christmas cookies - still have some bags of chips that should probably get tossed. Still looking for partners and good ideas and any encouragement anyone wants to add. Thanks for the support.



163 days til summer
or so I am told



1 comment:

  1. I am with you on the 100 day challage!
    You could look for a place near Luray??? I pulled the rug out from my kids too, but in the end they love our farm just as much as we do and do concider it "Home". It helped that they did some of the unpacking and I gave them free reign in deciding where things should go. It really helped them each have a sense of ownership in the place.
    Your Aunt is one bleesed lady to have you to sit with her.
    Take Care Mary!

    ReplyDelete