Saturday, December 31, 2011

Collections


 Christmas decorating always brings out the collections and with it much nostalgia. I didn't do a lot of decorating this year but I did bring out "The Snow Village" and a few nativities. I have been collecting pieces to The Snow Village since our first wedding anniversary. One advantage to getting married on the 30th of December is the fact that most of these pieces were bought on sale after Christmas as anniversary gifts. The first pieces we purchased were the ice skaters, the basketball players and the big white farm house. The big white farmhouse reminds us of our wish to live out in the country and of course in the 80's basketball was John's life - aside from me, which goes without saying. The ice skating piece was also wedding related and reminded us of going "skating" in DC with lots of friends and family a few nights before our wedding. We also loved all the red heads in this collections - hmm wonder why? and since there are tons of kids they all got names from John's siblings. Later years saw the addition of the barn, the anniversary piece, the red truck and several other pieces. The latest addition was the soldier coming home in time for Christmas and was in Michael's honor when he made it home on Christmas Eve.


 The ice skaters usually include Sarajane and Sabrina 
and Nathaniel who has fallen down


 John and Ensign playing basketball
Andrew and Luke sledding on saucers,
just like we used to fly down hills.
 
 Happy Anniversary - December 20, 1983

someday a barn...


Welcome Home Mikey - 2008


Another collection I have been working on over the years is the Nativities - of course to emphasize the true meaning of Christmas. At first my goal was to find unusual ones and I have found many of those - like the red clay one from Sedona, and the wrought iron one from Lancaster, the carved wood from the Philippines and of course the homemade ones we made with the kids. This year I only set out two of my sets - my most recent acquisitions which don't really fit the "unusual" definition but they are easily two of my favorites, mostly due to size and probably due to the fact that the Willow Tree set was a gift from my kids over the course of a few years.

Santos set

 
 the home made set made from wooden blocks and felt. Our set has three shepherds, multiple sheep, three wise men etc. One year we made these with the kids from church - over 20 sets - that's a lot of felt to cut. We've also made them with my nieces and nephews and of course I am looking forward to making a set with my grandchildren some day.

I also have a snowman collection. These are all about 10 - 12 inches high and collection one a year for about 8 years.When the artist quit making them, I quit collecting them. Perhaps they'll be out on my shelves next year. Or maybe it will be a Chrismons year, or a vintage Christmas books year or ..... we'll just have to wait and see.

And don't even start me on ornaments. At one of my bridal showers everyone was asked to bring a Christmas ornament. Many of those are hand crafted and somewhere is the list of who gave what. But this year we had a red, white and blue tree to honor our daughter-in-law Laura who is serving on deployment somewhere out there. Each year that Mike was gone we also did the red white and blue theme so it seemed fitting to use them once again. Anything red, white or blue makes the tree along with a plethora of snowflakes and some gold ornaments from places we've visited in the grand ole USA. This year a family of cardinals graced the top of our tree thanks to Kayla. Time to visit some after Christmas sales and see what's left

Off to pack up my collections - Happy New Years!




No comments:

Post a Comment