Monday, March 26, 2012

Finding Treasures

 
We pulled a trailer home filled with furniture and boxes of "stuff" this past weekend. I have no idea where it's all going, but I have been enjoying the process and the trip down memory lane.
The most fun I had was with a box full of recipes. At first glance it looked like lots of newspaper and magazine clippings - and there was plenty of that but as I dug a little further I began to find the treasures - hand written recipe cards from my aunt, my grandmother and my great aunt Emily. My grandmother was known for her fruitcakes and chocolate chip cookies and pound cake. All were included in the box. My great aunt Emily was quite the dessert maker and the box has dozens of her recipes too. My aunt was an adventuresome cook (with an affinity for lima beans as I recall) and what I most enjoy on hers are the notes "Boots say this is very good," "This didn't work out well" etc and pages of hints and clippings on how to improve just about anything. Feels like a jackpot to me in spite of the eye roll from John Deare each time I squealed - oh here is this one - I remember.....



It's fun to know that cooking and baking is a generational passion and I can't wait to make a pound cake and store it on grandma's glass cake plate with the aluminum cover - back to the 50's I go. I also inherited Aunt Emily's cookie press still in its original box - the kind you have to screw the handle on the top to work the disks. A few antique cookie cutters were found as well and an antique nut chopper.
Time to bake a few old favorites and pass the recipes on to the next generation.
Bon Apetit!



 PS Next I get to tackle the box of linens - tablecloths, doilies and handkerchiefs. Squeals of excitement... As they say one man's trash is another man's treasure.






1 comment:

  1. I am squealing just thinking about what fun you are going to have!

    ReplyDelete