Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It is finished.....

Another life has been lived and has now left us. I love to look back through pictures and see a person go from childhood to adulthood. Especially older pictures - I love to make up the stories in my mind. I would have done well to live in the 1920's and 30's, I think, perhaps I over romanticize it. In any event, my aunt has passed from this world to her heavenly home so my days of travel to PA to sit with her are over. I wouldn't trade that time. I learned a lot from her in those final weeks. I spoke at her memorial service - just a short piece and here is what I said.


“Take courage, I feel the bottom and it is firm”
In his classical tale of the spiritual journey, John Bunyan details for us the journey through the River of Death and the entrance of the pilgrim into heaven. I couldn’t help but think of this often during my last few visits with Aunt Vi. During earlier visits she had asked me about some previous speaking engagements I had and as we talked about them she expressed an interest in hearing more. One visit I brought along a written copy and read to her both from my words and from the text. We had a delightful conversation about the expectation of heaven and her assurance that one day soon she would join her Savior and those she loved. That day couldn’t come soon enough as far as she was concerned. During times of intense pain she would request to be read to and we would read the Psalms or her favorite, Colossians, and the Word of God would help to soothe and encourage her in her trial. She was a testimony to me of how God’s Words were her true comfort.
During a particularly trying day at the hospital, undergoing tests that seemed futile to all of us, she said to me, “I wish this was over. I am wasting everybody’s time.” I replied to her, “Aunt Vi – have we brought you any comfort by being here?” “Of course” she said, “Then it is time well spent!” I reminded her. Another time she questioned herself and said “I guess I just don’t have enough courage for this.” But she pressed on and she blessed us by her example of perseverance under trial and by giving us the opportunity to be a blessing to her.
As the final days came, we knew our time with her on this earth was almost over. Holding her hand or softly singing to her was the way in which we could bring comfort. At times she became increasingly agitated, and it took me back to our readings from Pilgrim’s Progress. You see as Christian and Hopeful crossed the River together each had a different response. For Christian it seemed he would drown and the water was swift and the passage terrifying. But for Hopeful, who walked next to Christian, his feet were on firm ground and he could see to the other side. So Hopeful calls out to Christian as he continues to help him stay steady, “Take courage, I feel the bottom and it is firm.” And soon the River is behind them and they are whisked away to Heaven and eternity with Jesus. Oh that we would all have the faith to feel the firm foundation that is Jesus Christ. Aunt Vi had that and she showed it to us through her life and in her dying. We have been blessed to have her in our family and she will be missed.

And so life goes on and slowly we find our new normal without the presence of someone in our lives.

Rest In Peace - Viola Virginia Haney Braun - November 19, 1929 - March 10, 2012

1 comment:

  1. Many thoughts of love. Many prayers to you. I KNOW your time was well spent.

    ReplyDelete