Thursday, April 28, 2011

Coming in Quite Nicely

I am very pleased with the progress of my home garden! This year I am experimenting with the concept of the square foot garden. Everything is planted within a square foot for ease of picking planting and weeding (or supposed lack thereof) I must say so far I have been pleased with the idea and it has been an easy garden to put in and maintain. I haven't been exactly as precise as I am supposed to be but then again I never am! In this garden which contains approximately 20 sq feet I have planted radishes, spinach, beets, carrots, beans, sweet cherry peppers, jalopeno peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, roma tomatoes, onions, sunflowers, verbena, globe amaranth, marigolds, basil and nasturtium. In other places I also have peas, lettuce, strawberries and lots of herbs as well as perennial and annual flowers. It sounds ambitious and I have never had it all in by the end of April so I am pretty pleased with myself! I find gardening to be very therapeutic and very stress relieving - I guess that is a good thing since I have lots of it to do both at home and at the farm.

First things in were spinach, radishes, beets and carrots. They are all up and growing. A second planting of each of those was done 2 weeks later (so you don't harvest all at the same time) and in this picture you can also see the beans in the background. Peas are coming along nicely as well.


Onion sets standing straight and tall. We planted these in the dark one night so not sure if we are getting red or white onions here. Always part of the fun!



It looks so comically small for all the stuff that is planted in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment