Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Applesauce! Applesauce!


When my oldest was a little girl and learning to read she saw the words applause! applause! and thought they said applesauce. As these things are prone to do it turned into a family "funny" and we often congratulate each other with the words applesauce, so I can't help but think that after spending the weekend picking apples and spending my week making....you guessed it applesauce. After all, if I am going to be a farm girl I have to make applesauce, right. When the kids were little and I was a stay at home mom (well let's say pre-fulltime working mom) we would go to the orchard every fall and pick and then make applesauce with my friend Linda. She never peeled her apples, I thought that was scandulous but hers sure was a pretty pink color and just as yummy as mine. Well this week I find myself peeling apples until my hand cramps and thinking about Linda. I've made 12 quarts so far - just finished the first bag of 5. I've also made an apple cake and apple pancakes and apple syrup and well you get the idea. I just hope the neighbors and the deer help themselves to the trees while we are not there the next few weeks. Now I wonder when we'll be there often enough to grow tomatoes so I can go back to canning salsa and spaghetti sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment