Saturday, October 24, 2009

farming in my own backyard


We haven't been to the farm for a few weeks now - the kids have been home on fall break and we've been enjoying them but I miss it and realize how much I enjoy the peacefulness of being there not to mention the beauty all around. Does one ever get tired of it? I hope not!

This weekend, when it wasn't raining, was perfect for checking on my garden here at home and deciding what to do with "stuff." My herbs especially need to be picked and pruned and all those lovely fall chores. I love my herbs, but I really don't do enough with them. Full of good intentions is what I am. I grow basil and we eat a lot in the summer - I love caprese salad. I've planned to make pesto but I haven't - although I have all the ingredients in the house. I grow sage, rosemary, and several kinds of thyme and I've always used these to stuff my holiday turkey. I have always planned to make cards that have thyme on them and the cute little quirp - "never enough thyme" but it's just a thought - must follow through!! I also have oregano which I haven't done anything with along with chives which are fun to watch bloom. Mint drives me nuts but I do use it for tea and just to run my hands in to smell. Most of the time I just keep cutting it back and snipping it here and there so it doesn't take over the place. My lavender probably gets the most use - if you call drying and hanging a useful thing. Perhaps I should make sachets or neck pillows or soap or..... I must get productive or what is the point? When we get the farm up and running I plan to have an entire field of lavender - mostly just for the sheer beauty and the fragrance of it. But for now I've purchased 5 bottles of white vinegar and 5 bottles of olive oil and I am going to make infused oils for Christmas presents - hold this farm girl to it!!
And P.S. If anybody wants any, come help yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment