Friday, October 2, 2009

farm memories



We're headed to the farm this weekend and I am looking forward to it. I am excited to think of peace and tranquility and changing autumn leaves. It is just always fun to go and see what is new. I've been looking for a few pictures that I know I have somewhere of some of my own farm adventures as a child. I did come across these of my kids experiencing one of my favorite farm activities: the sack swing, which reminds me of one of my favorite poems:
Oh I do like to go up in the air, up in the air so blue,
oh I do think it is the pleasantest thing,
ever a child could do.
I remember the adrenalin rush as you jumped off the old barrel, and hoped your legs made it around the old burlap sack so you didn't drag, the creak of the old tree limb as it adjusted to the weight suddenly thrust on it. The mild "rug burn" on hands and thighs as you clung to the rope and the sack. good times, fond memories.
I can't wait to start making them myself.
But first there are apples to pick and woods to explore and cool nights to enjoy and a beautiful drive waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment