Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lavender Blue, Billy Billy







Lavender Blue, Billy, Billy
Lavender Green
When you are King, Billy, Billy
I shall be Queen

I'm not sure that I have that little rhyme from childhood correct but that's how it is playing in my head. I took a trip to the Seven Oaks Lavender Farm in nearby Catlett this past week. I had heard of it and wanted to go but never hit the dates right. This year they put out a "Groupon" and I grabbed one and headed out for the adventure. Our first impression was actually not so positive, sort of a "This is IT!" response. It probably would be more correct to call it a Lavender Garden but that is not nearly as catchy and I understand marketing a name. We ended up thoroughly enjoying our time. We had a little demonstration about the different types of lavender and then were free to cut whatever we wanted to take home. At 9 cents per stem it isn't cheap but we had coupons for 60 free stems so we cut a nice bouquet. There gift shop is darling, once you get past the heady scent when you walk in the door. It spoke to my artistic spirt with all of its many crafty uses of lavender in photos, crafts, lotions, soaps, candles, and cooking. I of course bought a little of every thing and took pictures of ideas and promptly went home to try to convince John Dear that this was a component we needed to add at our farm. My friend Railey convinced me of that on the drive home and it was already on the project list in the wings so how awesome to gather so much information in one spot. I have another coupon soI am off again one day next week to gather lavender. Who wants to come along?


2 comments:

  1. oooooh what fun! and lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went there two years ago and am still enjoying the eye satche I bought. My dried lavender stems lasted until this recent move. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete